Welcome To Financial Elite!

Follow our 200K journey to get out of debt! We share our best money tips to get out of debt and build wealth.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Should I Use My 401K to Pay Off My Mortgage?


If you are planning on staying in your home I am all for you paying off your mortgage. But if you are getting a company match on your 401K from your employer, you must continue to invest the minimum amount to qualify for the maximum match. This is free money that you should not pass up. What you can do is cut back on your contribution to the point of the match so you will have more money in paycheck to put towards paying off your mortgage before you retire. You are probably thinking, "I will have less money in my 401K if I do that." But if you don't have a mortgage to worry about when you retire then it will probably more than offset the difference. For most retirees mortgages are the biggest income concerns.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...